Train-the-Trainer Workshop Update
On October 29th and 30th LifeCycles hosted a Food Preservation Train-the-Trainer workshop in partnership with Grounded Strategies. This action packed, hands on workshop was designed to provide participants with an introduction to a variety of produce preservation techniques that they were trained to teach in their own communities. Skills covered included:
- how to safely can/jar fruits and vegetables using hot water bath and pressure canning;
- how to dry fruits and vegetables including how to make fruit leather;
- training tips for conducting workshops and food preservation demonstrations.
We trained Food Preservation Trainers from the following organizations and communities, who will be sharing the skills and joy of preserving produce in season with many others in the months and years to come.
- Victoria Immigrant and Refugee Centre
- Inter-Cultural Association of Greater Victoria
- Shelbourne Community Kitchen
- Compost Education Centre
- Tl’kemtsin Community Health Center – LFN Health
- Stewardship Pemberton Society
We are grateful to the Victoria Foundation for their generous support of this initiative, and would also like to recognize Canadian Artisan Food for sponsoring a position in the workshop.